NAME: Matt Mulry
PRACTICE AREA: Financial Services
EDUCATION: University of Warwick, Coventry University and the College of Law.
PROFILE: Matt became a partner of Dillon Eustace in Cayman in 2012. Prior to joining the firm Matt worked as General Counsel for a leading investment manager based in Cayman, London and Moscow. Matt has over 17 year’s legal experience, more than 14 years of which have focused on the offshore investment funds industry. Matt is qualified in Cayman, the BVI, Jersey and England although he now practices Cayman law exclusively. His main areas of practice are financial services and general commercial work. Matt has extensive experience in the Cayman Islands where he has advised on private equity and hedge funds, compliance and regulatory issues, general corporate and commercial work and has been involved a number of major transactions for leading onshore law firms and investment managers.
Advised Perrigo Company on its recommended US$8.6 billion offer for Elan Corporation plc.
Advised a leading Tokyo based asset manager on the re-structure of their umbrella unit trust fund and four sub-funds focused on Asian and European markets in order to addresss issues arising from the implementation of AIFMD in the United Kingdom.
Advised Swiss Capital Alternative Investments AG on the launch of a segregated portfolio fund and its five sub-funds which uses the services of leading New York based sub-managers to target secured loans issued by institutions with low credit ratings and commercial and residential mortgage backed securities.
Advised a leading Asian based manager on the launch of a Cayman fund to replicate the investment objective and structure of its Irish domiciled fund targeted at equity and debt instruments.
Advised a leading European family office in relation to the restructuring of ultra-high net work client trusts through a registered investment fund to mitigate world-wide tax liabilities and simplify the family’s wealth structuring.
Advised a leading Asian asset manager in relation to their Cayman segregated portfolio fund and its 16 sub-funds which target preferential time deposits with leading Indian banks.
Advised a leading UK and US based investment manager on the establishment of a Cayman fund structure comprising a unit trust to feed, with other direct investors, into a Cayman segregated portfolio company to provide seed capital and working capital to early stage hedge funds and to manage their income streams.
Advised in relation to the variation of rights by the imposition of a redemption gate on investors in a hedge fund tainted with assets exposed to the Lehman collapse.
- Advised a leading Japanese investment adviser on the restructuring of a unit trust to manage liquidity issues including the use of side-pocketed units, the facility to continue NAV reporting following the suspension of redemptions and the extension of lock up periods.
- Advised on the Cayman corporate aspects of a joint venture arrangement established to invest in pharmaceutical companies in the MENA region.
- Advised a leading CIS focused investment manager on the restructure of their suite of Cayman domiciled funds and their corresponding Cypriot subsidiaries.
- Advised on the establishment of closed ended special purpose vehicles to manage asset illiquidity within Cayman hedge funds allowing the continuing offering of shares and satisfying investor requirements for the management of illiquid assets.
- Advised a number of high profile Middle Eastern investors on the use of Cayman corporate structures for investment into European real estate.