NAME: John O’Riordan
PRACTICE AREA: Litigation and Dispute Resolution
EDUCATION: University College Dublin and the Law Society of Ireland
Also admitted in: England and Wales
PROFILE: John is a partner in the Litigation and Dispute Resolution Department of Dillon Eustace.
He practises in the areas of commercial litigation, regulatory investigations and maritime and transport law. John’s clients include national and international insurance companies, corporations, banks and financial institutions, as well as hauliers, freight forwarders, shipping companies and individuals.
John’s specialist areas of expertise include experience in financial services and banking litigation, shareholder disputes, mis-selling claims, property and vessel damage claims, advising clients through the Central Bank’s administrative sanctions procedure, appearing before the Irish Financial Services Appeals Tribunal, enforcing foreign arbitral awards and a variety of other contractual and tortious disputes.
John is a member of the IBA and is regularly published in local and international publications.
- Acting for the Motor Insurers' Bureau of Ireland in proceedings, arising from the collapse of Setanta Insurance.
- Advising a number of regulated entities through the Central Bank's Administrative Sanctions Procedure, up to and including reaching a settlement with the Bank.
- Advising clients in relation to appeals before the Irish Financial Services Appeals Tribunal.
- Advised Perrigo Company plc on its High Court application to reduce its share premium account by $11 billion.
- Advising investors in Commercial Court proceedings arising out of the Madoff fraud in the United States.
- Advising financial institutions and advisers on mis-selling claims.
- Advising various parties on complaints brought before the Financial Services Ombudsman.
- Advising on the enforcement and recognition of a foreign arbitral award of almost $280 million under the Arbitration Act, 2010 in the Commercial Court.
- Advising an Irish insurance company in a series of multi-million euro proceedings arising out of the alleged mis-selling of a bond.
- Advising on shareholder disputes and minority oppression shareholder actions for a number of Irish companies and individuals.
- Advising an international bank in relation to losses incurred by investors following their investment in a bond.
- Advising a number of national and international banks in seeking judgment in summary proceedings.
Advising numerous national and international carriers and freight forwarders in relation to cargo damage claims.
- Advising insurers and ship owner on property damage claims.
- Advising creditors, companies and liquidators in relation to liquidation, examinership and general corporate restructuring issues.