NAME: John O’Riordan
PRACTICE AREA: Litigation and Dispute Resolution
EDUCATION: University College Dublin and the Law Society of Ireland
Also admitted in: England and Wales
PROFILE: John joined Dillon Eustace as a trainee in 2001 where he initially worked in the Financial Services Department, predominantly in the area of investment funds. During his time in Dillon Eustace John also spent time on secondment with an international bank operating in the fields of insurance and funds. John joined the Litigation and Dispute Resolution Department in 2004 and he was made partner in 2011.
John’s practice mainly focuses on the areas of commercial litigation, regulatory investigations and maritime law. John’s clients include national and international corporations, banks and financial institutions, insurers, hauliers, freight forwarders and shipping companies.
John is a member of the IBA and is regularly published in local and international publications.
- Acting for the Motor Insurers' Bureau of Ireland in proceedings, arising from the collapse of Setanta Insurance.
- Advising a number of regulated entities through the Central Bank's Administrative Sanctions Procedure, up to and including reaching a settlement with the Bank.
- Advising clients in relation to appeals before the Irish Financial Services Appeals Tribunal.
- Advised Perrigo Company plc on its High Court application to reduce its share premium account by $11 billion.
- Advising investors in Commercial Court proceedings arising out of the Madoff fraud in the United States.
- Advising financial institutions and advisers on mis-selling claims.
- Advising various parties on complaints brought before the Financial Services Ombudsman.
- Advising on the enforcement and recognition of a foreign arbitral award of almost $280 million under the Arbitration Act, 2010 in the Commercial Court.
- Advising an Irish insurance company in a series of multi-million euro proceedings arising out of the alleged mis-selling of a bond.
- Advising on shareholder disputes and minority oppression shareholder actions for a number of Irish companies and individuals.
- Advising an international bank in relation to losses incurred by investors following their investment in a bond.
- Advising a number of national and international banks in seeking judgment in summary proceedings.
- Advising numerous national and international carriers and freight forwarders in relation to cargo damage claims.
- Advising insurers and ship owner on property damage claims.
- Advising creditors, companies and liquidators in relation to liquidation, examinership and general corporate restructuring issues.