NAME: Mark Thorne
TITLE: Managing Partner
PRACTICE AREA: Banking and Capital Markets, Financial Services and Corporate and M&A
EDUCATION: University College Dublin and the Law Society of Ireland
PROFILE: Mark has been with the firm since it was founded in 1992 and became a partner in 1999 and Managing Partner in 2004. He has broad corporate and finance experience across the range of industries and particular experience in regulated M&A and joint ventures. His corporate and corporate finance practice includes experience in public and private acquisitions, joint ventures and restructurings. In the structured finance area his emphasis is on local and cross border NPL acquisition and financing, asset and structured finance, repackaging and capital markets.
Mark is a recognised lawyer in a number of prominent legal guides in Capital Markets and Banking and Finance. Recent reviews note the firm’s “very, very client focussed” approach with Mark being recommended on being “excellent in getting a deal over the line”. (Legal 500, 2014)
- Advising BNP Paribas on its acquisition of the Fund Administration and Custody business of Credit Suisse with total assets under administration of in excess of $150 billion.
- Advising a leading distressed asset buyer on its acquisition of a €120 million portfolio of commercial real estate backed loans and its subsequent refinancing.
- Advising in relation to the purchase/sale of a number of performing and non-performing Irish loan books including acting for the purchaser, in relation to its due diligence, acquisition and financing, of the “Project Kildare” portfolio of Irish real estate-backed loans (nominal value of EUR675million approx.) from EBS/AIB.
- Acted for the purchaser of the so-called “Project Royal” portfolio of U.K. commercial real estate loans (nominal value of circa STG£1billion) from Lloyd’s Banking Group and the related financing of such acquisition with senior bank debt and subordinated notes (which notes are listed on the Irish Stock Exchange).
- Acted for the purchaser of a EUR430million senior loan backed by a portfolio of bonds issued by the former Lehman Brothers Collateralised Debt Obligation – Excalibur.
- Advised FBD Holdings plc. on its $120 million joint venture arrangement‘s with Farmer Business Developments relating to FBDs Irish and Spanish property and leisure assets.
- Advised FBD Holdings on the sale of its regulated corporate insurance broking subsidiary, FBD Brokers Limited to JLT.
- Acting for a global regulated insurance and risk management group in its European restructuring.
- Advised the board of a listed Irish insurance company in course of a takeover approach.
- Advised the board of a regulated Irish Collective Investment Fund in the successful defence of a hostile takeover.
- Advised the shareholders on the sale of one of Ireland’s leading nursing home business.
- Advised a leading international bank in relation to the integration of its Irish Authorised Fund Administration Businesses.
- Advised Lone Star in relation to multiple cross border distressed debt acquisitions, sale and joint venture acquisitions and financings and securitisation of assets in Korea, Japan, Germany, UK and Ireland.